Sunday, June 1, 2008

VBS: Outrigger Island

"Living God's Unshakable Truth"
That was the theme for this year's Vacation Bible School at our church. It was for kids pre-Kindergarten thru 6th grade and was held in the evenings last week begining on Tuesday and ending last night with a closing program for family and friends. Our church was throughly decorated "hawaiian style" including all the classrooms, craft cabana, missions room, canteen, and even the teachers. The kids learned the ABC's (admit-believe-confess) of becoming a Chrisitan and they learned five Bible verses. Along with each verse, they learned a coresponding "life truth" that they could apply to their lives. They were: "I know God is real. I can believe there is no other God."; "I know Jesus is God's Son. I can celebrate who He is."; "I know my actions show what I believe. I can stand for truth."; "I know the Bible is God's Word. I can explore it's truth."; and "I know that Jesus is the only way. I can confess Him as my Savior."

When Alyssa goes on her mission trip later this summer, the group will be doing this same Bible school for kids in Madison, Wisconsin. Alyssa has been assigned to the 1st and 2nd grade level, so she volunteered at our church to get a jump start on what she would be doing. Emily really liked this since that meant Alyssa was in her group all week. Several times I heard Emily telling her friends, "my sister is going to be teaching this to other kids, so she's learning what to do." She always likes it when Alyssa is around. The really neat part about this is that it was an answered prayer. On Tuesday night when Alyssa got home from her meeting in St. Joe with the Baptist Association she told me she was assigned to the 1st and 2nd grade, so I called Diana (our church's VBS teacher for that grade level) and asked her if Alyssa could be with her for the rest of the week. Well, Diana had just asked Kyle, our VBS director, for a teenager to help her and they hadn't found one yet! God is always at work around us, we just have to take the time to notice.

No comments: